Friday 28 March 2014

Scrappy rainbowy TGIFF

A finished quilt top - hurrah!


The Fat Quarter Shop had a free pattern a few weeks ago called Cherry Charm Pack quilt and I really wanted to make it.  The pattern called for four charm packs - two solid packs and two print packs.  I got busy cutting white from my stash to make the solid 5" charms and instead of buying two charm packs, I dug deep into the scrap pile and stash and gathered up a rainbow of colours.

Over three evenings, I cut and sewed, pressed and pinned and when I got to laying out the blocks for the final hurrah, I totally abandoned the layout that the pattern suggested - it was just too busy for my OCD brain.  I like 'order' so I lined all the skinny bits up in rows instead of how the pattern suggested. 


Beautiful and lovely bright and pretty ugly are the words I would use to describe this quilt top.  I am NOT a rainbow person and I believe this little quilt proves why!  Nevertheless, I will quilt and bind it and perhaps I will suddenly fall in love with it.  We'll see.  I am proud of my matching points though!  98% of them are awesome!


The pattern was easy to follow and I can see myself making another one someday.  This was a first for me - a quilt top started and finished in the same month - how crazy is that!?  And guess what?  I "put my scraps to work" again too.

Linking to TGIFF over at Devoted Quilter, Fairy Face Designs and SEWjo Saturday.

FairyFace Designs

22 comments:

Kelly said...

Love this Amy and your layout is fab! x

Leanne Parsons said...

It's funny...I thought the original layout felt really busy too! I love your layout. Love all the colours too. It's a great scrap quilt. Thanks for linking to TGIFF.

Leanne said...

I wish you lived closer, we would be friends for sure. Bright and pretty ugly indeed, I think maybe if you arrange the colours a bit next time you will like it more.

Allison said...

I like that you lined up all the skinny bits. a quilt top in a month? way to go! :)

Kathy said...

I'm with you...your speed and efficiency are amazing...I like how this turned out too...added bonus and that's not just my recent trip to the pub talking...looks great Amy!!

MetroQuilter said...

Love how this has turned out, noticing how mant beautiful greens you have in your scraps.

Charlotte said...

this layout is a definite improvement :-D

Amy DeCesare said...

I agree that the way you arranged the skinny blocks looks great! Maybe if you think of this quilt as a Greatest Hits, you will like it more - I love seeing bits of wonderful fabrics, all in one place.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Loving your twist x

M-R Charbonneau said...

Yay! Way to go out of your comfort zone. Great job, Amy!

Jusmom1 said...

I love your quilt! Scrappy...with order! My brain will also not allow me to do anything that isn't orderly, lol. Great Job!

Go-Go Kim said...

I love your version and all the colors! Thank you so much for linking up to SEWjo Saturday!

charlotte said...

Nice job. Doesn't that finish feel good?

Pippa Parsons said...

Ohhh I love this and the colours, how about donating it for a siblings quilt?? Any child would love it or me lol

Pennie said...

Love that layout and the colours :-) hope you do love it when it's done

Beatrice said...

Love your take on the pattern (lining up the skinny bits)! I hope you don't mind if I copy your idea (when I get round to making the quilt, that is).
PS did your quilt end up being the same size as the one in the tutorial?
Thank you.

Anna said...

Those points are definitely something to be proud of!! Hopefully quilting and binding helps you love it a little more :)

Vicki said...

I love this quilt! I was going to say bright and happy, but in a VERY positive way!

Beth said...

Your top looks great. I did the same thing and cut up some old fabric! Feels good to use it up.

Debbie Rogowski said...

I love this pattern, I can't imagine you even attempted to make the Cherry quilt pattern. Your design is so much more pleasant. Finish it up and save it for a gift. Some else will love it

Schulz Family said...

visiting from fairy face designs. Love love this. You must be so pleased

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

I really like how you changed up the pattern, and I love bright and scrappy so I think it looks great :-)